By Sunita Patmanathan
US Foods are having a recipe competition called the Next Top Product Recipe Contest. Although it sounds like the next top models, here the main focus will be your food. You would need to submit your signature recipe by the 19th of July. You can choose from 4 different categories which are Bakery, Hot Appetizers, Sauces and Dips & Spreads. A winner will be selected from each US Foods Division to compete online to become a regional finalist. The 8 regional finalists will then compete again in Las Vegas at the World Food Championships for cash and a restaurant makeover totalling a value of $20K (USD) and a chance to be their Next Top Product.
I have taken the official rules from their website ) but go and have alook!
1. WHO CAN ENTER? You are eligible if you are a US Foods Independent Restaurant customer (as defined below), 18 years of age or older as of June 17, 2013 and are a legal United States resident residing in one of the 48 contiguous United States or the District of Columbia at the time of the Contest Finals. Employees of US Foods, Inc., (“USF”) or any of their respective parents, subsidiaries and affiliated companies (“Sponsor”), or any promotion, advertising, judging or public relations company doing business with any of the above, or any of their respective parents, subsidiaries and affiliated companies, or a member of the immediate family (parent, children, siblings, spouse, regardless of where they live) or live in the same household of such employees (whether related or not). US Foods Independent Restaurant customers are defined as locally managed independent operators, such as restaurants, caterers and country clubs etc…. who are not a part of a national account program, that are in good credit standing with USF and agree to sign all participating legal agreements associated with the contest, as described herein.
2. How to Enter. Go to www.usfoods.com/contest and submit your own signature recipe by 5:00 pm CT on July 19, 2013. Follow your recipe’s votes on www.usfoods.com/NTP
3. Contest Criteria. All entries must meet the requirements of the Recipe Category entered. Recipes not meeting contest entry criteria will be disqualified. Entries must be the original recipe of the entrant, and currently on their menu. An internal product development committee at US Foods made up of food professionals will do initial selection. This is to ensure the appropriate criterion has been met based on the outlined below:
- Consumer Appeal (sensory, taste, visual)
- Ability to produce product commercially (Scalability)
- Sales Opportunity
Region Finalists will be required to certify, on information or belief, that their recipes are their original creation and have not been published or publicized and have not won a cooking contest. Regional Finalists will be required to undergo a background check before advancing to the next round. – more can be read via their website.
If you think you have a good recipe or know someone who does, well this is your chance to share your recipe and win some prizes too. 20K is a lot of money, so spread the word! And please do share with us your stories/recipes via Facebook, Twitter or by any other means! We would love to hear from you. Good Luck!