Many of us know Jackie Chan as one of the most memorable actors of our generation. His stunts have dazzled people for decades. Although his role as an actor may be what we remember him by, his dedication and loyalty to charity are just as amazing as him leaping off of a building onto a moving train.
In 1988, Jackie Chan founded The Jackie Chan Charitable Foundation. A foundation that aids Honk Kong’s occupants by offering scholarships, medical services, and assisting with natural disasters and illness. In October of 2002, Jackie also founded The Dragon Heart Foundation.
The foundation is driven to fulfill the needs of the less fortunate populations in China. Since the foundation’s birth, it has helped build over a dozen schools. The organization has also raised over one million dollars toward the education of poor kids and reached out to the elderly by donating warm clothes and wheelchairs.
Chan’s long list of charity work is truly one of the more amazing things any man could do for his country. Below is a list of charity work and events he has sponsored from 2010 to 2011.
- Organized “Love Without Borders 3/11 Candlelight Gala” to benefit Japan earthquake/tsunami victims.
- Donated books to poor children in Qindao, China
- Raised US $2 million for the Jackie Chan Charitable Foundation in Hong Kong
- Ninth Annual Bazaar Charity Night sold Jackie Chan’s Dragon’s Heart
- Richard Mille watch for US $800,000
- Attends Wuhan Charity Concert
- Hosted the “Believe in Love” charity event in Beijing
- Sponsored Dragon’s Heart Summer Camp in Beijing
- Donated 5 million RMB (US $732,000) to help Haiti earthquake victims.
- Worked with WildAid to support preservation of endangered tigers.
- Donation of school supplies to “Charming Schools” in China
- Raised US $5.2 million in donations for the Singapore Thong Chai Medical Institution
- Helped raise US 29 million for drought relief in China.
- Visited Qinghai, China to bring food, water, and supplies to victims of the April 14, 6.9 magnitude earthquake
- Participated in the “Artistes 414 Fundraising Campaign” concert to raise money for victims of the April 14th earthquake in China
- Charity mission to Tongren in the Guizhou province of China to bring much-needed water and supplies to the drought-stricken area.
This list can’t even begin to sum up the hard work and dedication that Jackie Chan has put into charity. It gives you some insight into what change he has made in only a small period of time. Jackie Chan’s dedication to charity is still as strong as it has ever been.